lunes, 29 de diciembre de 2008

TEACHING PHILOSOPHY OR JUST PHILOSOPHY?


Teaching philosophy

It is said that human being should have a philosophy for every one of his/her activity and of course, this would mean a different behavior in front of the different challenges of our multiple social dimensions; and, in spite of famous voices such as Freud, or Lacan that claims that it is true such argument of the multi dimension of the mind and human behaviors, that does not necessarily means there must be an specific “philosophy” for every one of our mental or social dimension, in this specific case a “teaching philosophy” which for me would mean a labor philosophy because this is my profession.

Having clear this point about only one philosophy I may talk about the topic which I will call just philosophy and not a “teaching philosophy”. The philosophy applied in my life as a social and mental active human being it is summarize in one single word conscious. For me this is the main premise of my life and I applied to every single dimension of my thoughts and actions in social life, and of course it is easily seen also in my social functions as a professional. Thus when I adopt the role of a teacher I guide the students to that premise “being conscious” but, about what? Well, that depends of the context: it is not the same teaching English to children in a low economic status than teaching adults in the country, what a I mean with this idea is that what I first have to do is make me conscious of the context, the needs the resources and mainly make me conscious of the people in front of me, because, despite their similarities all of them have something to said or give an opinion. And, after “reading” the context, how to achieve that conscience I am looking for??

That is the difficult part because in that point once I have observed I have to harmonize what a saw and what I know to integrate everything in a way to touch those people who decide to be there. It is difficult giving a “methodology” for doing that, all what I know is that once I know the group or the being in front of me I invest my energies in making Them conscious of what they are, what they want, what they desire, why they decide being there or what big social enterprise or institution influences his/her personal decision in order to respond a living style or a specific modus operandi for doing something that sometimes seems to be ours but we do not know or see that we are obeying another force different to our own will, maybe to benefit ourselves or just to make us fix in a chain of production of living style and thoughts that could be positive but necessarily ours owns.


1 comentario:

Sandra dijo...

You're right. One cannot define himself as a teacher without defining himself as a human being first -What you do, what you say, your personal set of beliefs, etc.
Having awareness of your surroundings is important in a teaching and learning process, but it is also important to keep in mind that learning occurs as the result of the learning experiences teachers design for his/her students. What I mean is that we should keep in mind students' current social context, but we also should educate for a possible (and better) social context.